so much mascara, not enough eyes

There are three things that I am hands down obsessed with. One is nail polish. I love it. I will unabashedly ask strangers what they are wearing or where they got their nails done. The other thing is eyebrows. I am obsessed with mine and what they look like. I know it's unreasonable to want them to match, but they have to be as close as possible. I'm constantly working on them. I'm working on them now. GROOOOWWWWWW. They make or break a face. The final thing is a me thing. Eyelashes. For as long as I can remember, I have been striving to find the perfect mascara. The one that gives volume, lengthens, separates, and neither clumps, nor flakes. I realize this is a tough order, as I pretty much want fake eyelashes in a tube.


The problem with trying a new mascara is you get a lot. You commit to either wasting money or having blah lashes for at least two and half months. I cannot do that. No. In years prior, Sephora has done sets of mascara in mini versions. This year, I bought one! The Lash Stash box comes with ten mascaras and a set of false lashes. Two of the tubes are full sized.  The set goes for $45, which is a damn good deal in my book.


I started my experiment with a mascara I had never heard of - Too Faced Better Than Sex. I knew that Too Faced made mascara, but hadn't ever really heard much about it. They're far more famous for their primers and pallets.


The brush is weird. A sort of hourglass shape. I had never used a wand this shape. The first few times I used it, I stabbed myself in the eye. Seriously. I had to take out my contacts and clean the mascara off them. The formula seemed nice, but not worth blindness. So. Weekend. Time to practice and get better at using this shit, or it was going in the bin. And hey! I figured out the whack wand shape.


The ends are wider so you can get to the corners of your eyes and still the middle lashes. So starting at the base, wiggle, wiggle, and rolling out while going to the end of my lashes, I actually applied it correctly, evenly, and without eye-stabbing. Two or three coats. I typically go for three because I don't know when to stop. I also will say, I use a primer thats supposed to help grow eyelashes, which I think it does...

I took photos on different days with different makeup.  First, we have "naked" face, which is so not even naked. It's lies. On my face.



Aaaand, normal day with my normal shit ton of eyeliner, that I started doing when I fell in love with Mary Quant minis and the 60s in the UK in high school (I don't know. At least I wasn't doing drugs, but instead staying at home, in my bathroom learning how to apply liquid eyeliner.). That blob on my face is because I dropped the mascara when I was putting it on, but was too lazy to get up and fix it pre photo - I had good light! I also generally did a better job applying this day. I don't know. Makes no sense.



Ultimately, I have to say I really like this mascara - far more than I thought I was going to. The formula is thick, and the wand is a strange one, but once you actually figure it out, it's a pretty great means of application.  I will say that my one complaint is that some days it doesn't stay put till the end of the day (8:00 am - 6:00 pm) but that's mostly okay. It gets a little grey under your eyes, but it's pretty easy to clean up. One fault is not the end of the world.

So far, this is a winner, but I have nine others to try...

Comments

Popular Posts