eat my food.

So, I'm very sorry for temporarily abandoning my blog. I could give you a litany of excuses, but ultimately, unpacking is a bitch, and I had a lot of it to do. Don't move. Ever.

In prepping for moving, I had friends over to eat the contents of my cabinets. I always, always have the stuff on hand to make chicken risotto. It is my absolute favorite, and ultimately isn't that bad for you. Want to try and make it? You should. Girls and boys love it!

The recipe is kinda as follows. To be honest, I start off with a recipe then riff.


4 Tablespoons butter
1 medium onion
5 Cups Arborio Rice
1 Cup dry white wine
5 Cups chicken stock
2 chicken breasts
Some peas or asparagus, if in season...3 cups? I don't know. Till it looks like it has enough green in it.
A chunk of fresh parmesan


In a giant pot, melt 2T of the butter. Chop the onion finely, and cook it till its translucent. Toss in the rice and make sure it's coated.


Onion chopping note - make them work for you. Peel it, and slice it from top to bottom. Put it on its side and slice again going from top to bottom. Then turn it 90 degrees and slice it the other way. The layers of the onion will make it dice for you, and you can hold it together so the chunks are all the same size and cook evenly.


This is where the finesse of risotto comes in, and makes it rather painstaking. You cannot add in a ton of liquid. You gradually add some in, wait for it to absorb, then add more till the rice is cooked. Add in the wine first. Drink the rest while you're cooking. Sober cooking is okay, but tipsy cooking is much more fun! Or be responsible and save it to have a glass of wine with your meal. Boring...boo. OR buy two bottles of wine so you can do both! Compromise!


During this whole liquid adding process (use the stock as well), stir like a mother. Seriously. Do not let the rice stick to the bottom of the pot. It will burn and your meal will be ruined. While adding the liquid, poach the chicken and dice it - leaving it to the side. Also, and this is key, DO NOT USE A METAL SPOON. Use a wooden one. They don't conduct heat and create hotspots which will ruin your food. 


Once all the liquid is all used up your rice should blob. This is highly scientific, I know. You want to be able to have the risotto hold its shape when you make a spoonful, then blob into not a spoonful. This part takes some practice. Also, you can try the rice. It should be firm-ish, and most definitely not mushy.

After the cooking process is complete, add in the rest of the butter, then the chicken, then the peas/green item, then finally, parmesan to taste. You'll want at least a cup, but if you like cheese as much as I do, then you'll want more. Also have some on the side to sprinkle on top. Fluff up with a fork, serve, eat many helpings. Drink the other bottle of wine you bought.

I forgot to take a finished photo. I also didn't add in anything green, because I didn't have any and buying more food defeats the point of cooking to eat up food.

So there you go! Try it!

Comments

Popular Posts